ISOs, what makes funders great?
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ISOs, what makes funders great?

I'm working with a B funder in the MCA space. I'm hoping to get feedback on what we should be focusing on as far as system and process improvements.

From the ISO perspective what are the 3 things that make one funder better than others?

Thanks in advance.

Flexibility on competing offers and good communication is the key to seeing more files from ISO's

Senior Member Reputation points: 76187

Quote Originally Posted by CROSULTING View Post
    Flexibility on competing offers and good communication is the key to seeing more files from ISO's
    thats probably the majority of what makes a good funder. does anyone else have any input on what makes a good funder?

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

commissions/ headaches (speed low stips no reprice etc)/knows the industry(cant want A paper to give c paper rates) thats the 3 i would say

Senior Member Reputation points: 218103

You should have a very clear differentiator, what makes you different.
    Also, like Michael said, if the goal is A-D, then have different boxes for different types of deals.

Senior Member Reputation points: 35870

Speed, easy stips, good communication.

Bottom line is i want to work with a funder who i know will fund. Id even rather a lower commission to know the deal will fund. Theres nothing worse than having a deal killed in Final review for reasons that should have been caught earlier on. There are several funders notorious for this and i stopped sending them deals.

Senior Member Reputation points: 51397 DTFdowntofund's Avatar

Transparency.

Everyone on either side of the fence wants to fund solid volume as quickly and efficiently as possible; the key is having folks who understand the product scope, submit within the eligible parameters, and have it taken from A - Z without hiccups and the constant back-and-forth. When both ends are well versed and have a fluidity in deal flow.. everybody wins. This also includes being extremely forthright in all aspects from details on submissions that may prove problematic to flexibility (or lack thereof) on approvals... commission, expectations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MCN View Post
    Speed, easy stips, good communication.

Bottom line is i want to work with a funder who i know will fund. Id even rather a lower commission to know the deal will fund. Theres nothing worse than having a deal killed in Final review for reasons that should have been caught earlier on. There are several funders notorious for this and i stopped sending them deals.
    You can avoid this altogether if you find out the specifics when you sign on with a funding house; they should be upfront about whether they issue soft approvals and underwrite at the end (the worst) or otherwise.

Senior Member Reputation points: 35870

Quote Originally Posted by DTFdowntofund View Post
    You can avoid this altogether if you find out the specifics when you sign on with a funding house; they should be upfront about whether they issue soft approvals and underwrite at the end (the worst) or otherwise.
    should be is the key word. But the real issue is that some funders are prone missing things because of human error that they should catch earlier on. They also are constantly adjusting underwritering guidelines and their process so what they say is a hard approval isnt that hard.

These are great!
    Thank you everyone.

Anything else?

ooo these are awesome. definitely learned a lot.

Speed, upfront underwriting, light stips, good communication, next day commissions and most importantly being honest about what files you'll be most competitive on with a broker upsell. I've encountered a lot of funders that say they have an "A paper" box that requires 600+ FICO score and 2 years TIB, but the rates and terms they present are B and C paper... If you're not going to be competitive in certain boxes let your ISO's know that. A great way to do this is to have an ISO package that shows the minimum requirements, buy rates and max terms for each of your boxes. This would save a lot of time on your end as well by not underwriting files that have no shot of closing, and keeping declines to a minimum.

From an ISO's perspective it looks like funders that don't do this are trying to backdoor you by having you send all of your files to them. Which reminds me, always give a thorough explanation why you passed on a file so your ISO feels comfortable sending you more files in the future without the fear of getting backdoored, which is everyone's biggest fear.
    MGM Capital Funding
    https://mgmcapitalfunding.com/
    (516)530-9941 ext: 103
    nick@mgmcapitalfunding.com

Senior Member Reputation points: 81657

I don't notice any comments on the responsibility of brokers to bring files to the table that
    are viable. Readable applications, complete bank statements, know what the funders requirements, etc.
    Dave Lambert, Business Development
    dave@fcbankcard.com
    Merchant Services Consultant
    High Risk Merchant Payment Solutions
    SBA 7(a) Loans & Short-Term Funding
    T/VM: 727-291-7890
    Office: 727-233-1111

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeman07 View Post
    I don't notice any comments on the responsibility of brokers to bring files to the table that
    are viable. Readable applications, complete bank statements, know what the funders requirements, etc.
    Did you notice no one talked about the weather either?people are answering the question,not having different discussions

Senior Member Reputation points: 337126

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    Did you notice no one talked about the weather either?people are answering the question,not having different discussions
    80 here in Palm Beach County.......
    Hedley Lamarr......That's Hedley

Senior Member Reputation points: 81657

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post

Responsibilities of broker is a different discussion?
    Dave Lambert, Business Development
    dave@fcbankcard.com
    Merchant Services Consultant
    High Risk Merchant Payment Solutions
    SBA 7(a) Loans & Short-Term Funding
    T/VM: 727-291-7890
    Office: 727-233-1111

You must have skipped mine.

Responsibilities of broker is a different discussion?
    question was " From the ISO perspective what are the 3 things that make one funder better than others?" and your answer is what a broker responsibilities' is ? Now i am curious what your other 2 are just to get a laugh

Senior Member Reputation points: 31326

whats the avg points brokers are making now

Quote Originally Posted by happyman View Post
    whats the avg points brokers are making now
    You mean max upsell on buy rates these days? I'd say it's almost industry standard at this point as opposed to flat factors built into the rates.

Member Reputation points: 1154

The ISO manager is what what makes a real funder successful .
    Fully underwriting the file upfront and being 100 % transparent about your programs . An ISO manager that has the industry knowledge to understand a file and overturn a decline when underwriting has different opinion . A good ISO manager fights for ISO's deals that have merit.

If you fund B-C paper and an ISO sends you a high grade deal let them know that you would be good for hop if they fall short on an A paper deal . Don't just a worthless approval that you know has no chance of funding . Communication is key . Ask questions when you get a file in if you think the information will be helpful to get an approval. Review every submission so you know if the deal even has a chance.
    Stick to your word and communicate.
    If the ISO manager works for company that back peddles go find a solid company to work for .
    Time is kills deals !!!!
    Jake Strelzik
    305- 785-2548

quick underwriting, with reasons for declines
    good offers
    trust

Quote Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
    The ISO manager is what what makes a real funder successful .
    Fully underwriting the file upfront and being 100 % transparent about your programs . An ISO manager that has the industry knowledge to understand a file and overturn a decline when underwriting has different opinion . A good ISO manager fights for ISO's deals that have merit.

If you fund B-C paper and an ISO sends you a high grade deal let them know that you would be good for hop if they fall short on an A paper deal . Don't just a worthless approval that you know has no chance of funding . Communication is key . Ask questions when you get a file in if you think the information will be helpful to get an approval. Review every submission so you know if the deal even has a chance.
    Stick to your word and communicate.
    If the ISO manager works for company that back peddles go find a solid company to work for .
    Time is kills deals !!!!
    would you rather have an ISO manager that is constantly overturning declines and fighting for your deals to fund or a funding company that approves a lot and funds with ease?

Senior Member Reputation points: 218103

Don't ever get annoyed at a broker for finding a better deal and going with it. Make it clear to us as well that you won't cut us off just because we found something better or faster or got it funded elsewhere. I don't like "spreading" my files, but ... you gotta do what you gotta do.

Member Reputation points: 1154

Sales and risk always bump heads .
    Jake Strelzik
    305- 785-2548