Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 30747

For the Nerds: IT Infrastructure Question.

Where are my fellow Nerds or Closet Nerds?

I was a Nerd 1st, Merchant 2nd. Me being a Nerd is what brought me into entrepreneurship in the mid 90's while attending Middle school.

I know DF is not a Tech forum technically, but we all here use technology every day. Some us here have a lot more understanding of the IT required to make the magic happen.

All Nerds know that being a Nerd is something that is a part of your for life, no matter how successful you become, or how many other Nerds you may be able to employ. The fact that technology is always changing, Us Nerds, often find ourselves always reevaluating technologies, and having to learn new things constantly. So us Nerds, we know what we know, and don't know what we don't. But collectively the Nerds know everything. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

I don't know CLI, and I am thinking about going with Ubiquiti's Edgerouter which runs EdgeOS. EdgeOS is based on Vyatta.

I am in the process of building a new network and evaluating which router, switch, and access points I am going to go with. I have tons of experience with Unifi Ap's and I love the unified experience they offer, but they have dropped the ball on the capability of their USG routers. However, their Edgerouter line offers the features and control I need, but the GUI sucks, and I would need to rely on CLI to make the router do what I need...

Other routers that I am considering is Sonicwall, Pfsense, and Mikrotec.

Features I need are...
    OpenVPN server.
    500mbps/100mbps gateway speed.
    powered by Poe from switch.
    Extensive Gateway Bandwidth Management.
    QOS.
    Deep Packet Inspection.

The cream on top is if I could find a router that does all of this and can be configured with out having to enter CLI.

If need be, I can learn CLI. But there may be solution out there that does not rely on oldschool CLI.

Any other members here familiar with any of this stuff?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Winning; 07-22-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 337045

Back in the day...... Karen37 would be all over this thread......
    Hedley Lamarr......That's Hedley

You think Karen knew CLI? I didn't get the vibe she was hardcore network infrastructure Nerd. That would be cool if she was, I don't know of to many women that operate in this space.

Just wanted to circle back and update this thread becuase I personally hate it when people ask for input, and then don't come back around to update the thread when they have figured out what ever it was they were trying to figure out..

So I went with all Cisco gear. After reading many many many datasheets, buying and test several different products, talking with the perspective engineers and tech support for the various test equipment I purchased, I went all in with Cisco.. I totally was not expecting that at all.. Cisco has had a reputation of killing you with tons of ongoing licensing fees that is hard for a Small Business to afford. But I discovered a new product line that Cisco recently launched directly aimed at taking the Small Business customer away from there current vendors. For this new line they have done away with the mandatory licenses you must purchase in order for the hardware to work! Plus cisco has some of the best documentation and support! Cisco in my book is a strong buy, they are shaking up the Small Business network hardware sector.

I have never owned Cisco anything, so for their datasheets to win me over to do a complete network consisting of the Cisco RV Router, Cisco CBS Switches, Cisco Small Business Wireless Access Points, and all the hardware is managed locally in Cisco's single pane of glass Cisco Business Dashboard is a huge win on Cisco's part!
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/soluti...-business.html

Senior Member Reputation points: 16735

Winning Cisco also has a captive finance arm that offers leasing options. Did you look into that by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by channin19 View Post
    Winning Cisco also has a captive finance arm that offers leasing options. Did you look into that by chance?
    No, I didn't look into using there financing arm.. The hardware purchase total was only about $1800. Hind sight I probably should have went through there financing process and got financing through them, just to start a relationship with them... But I was ready to get the project complete. I started surveying the current landscape of small business network hardware on 7/16/2020. I finally felt ready to go all in and order all Cisco gear on 10/23/2020.. That was 3 months of researching and testing the various network hardware from various vendors and Cisco's new Small Business line came out on top from a performance, cost, ease of use, expansion, cohesiveness, documentation, and support perspective.

This finance arm that you mention is an additional nail in the coffin, icing on the cake, value added service that Cisco has to crush some of the other players in the Small Business Network sector like TpLink, MikroTik, Ubnt, Netgear, etc.. A lot of those vendors only exists because Cisco, in the past really did not care about the small business, small network, customer. They historically only cared about the enterprise, isp, telco customers. But I think they have a new focus on the Small Business customer and here to take names and kick some ass.

Here is a list of the Cisco completed and pending acquisitions.
    https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/...ist-years.html

The day (10/23/2020) I decided to go all in with Cisco hardware their stock was at $38.82. Today (12/22/2020) they are at $44.94. I think since I was willing to buy into their brand new SMB product line, and I feel very strongly about what they have built, I should at least buy 100 shares of their stock... I just got this strange feeling that I should....
    Last edited by Winning; 12-22-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Interesting read from a tech journal that shares my exact sentiments regarding Cisco's past regarding Small Business and their new focus on it. It's like the writer jumped in my brain and wrote a story exactly with the info I learned over the last few months.... It just that the article was wrote June 1st. At that time I was in the thick of trying of decide which way I was going to go.

"Networking giant Cisco goes small to get bigger"
    https://siliconangle.com/2020/06/01/...ll-get-bigger/
    Last edited by Winning; 12-23-2020 at 03:15 PM.

**** or get off the toilet right? Cisco earnings come out Tuesday... I guess I need to decide what I want to do... In my gut I feel Cisco is a longterm safe investment.. I just dont know if Cisco covid earnings report will have a negative impact on the immediate stock price. If so I should wait a buy after the earnings report. Or will the earning report be better than expected which could push the price up, So I should buy now, before the earnings report....

IDK...