Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 32550 Funder Mark's Avatar

Did you create an account, simply to post links to an anti cash advance rabbi/speaker?

Senior Member Reputation points: 216380

Rabbu Reuven should be excommunicated (put in cherem) for talking against so many good Jews, and against the only job that Jews could hold for generations (and did). This came about from a mixture due to the prohibition of Jews owning land in Europe and the Catholic church forbidding Christians from charging anyone with interest (also Muslims aren't allowed to borrow or pay interest, BTW, it's called REEBOO'AH).

But mainly this rabbi should castigated for speaking completely falsehoods about Jewish law. I have learned this topic myself, and with some help from a commentary I found on the channel as well as my own coloration, here's the TRUTH why the rabbi is WRONG and it is permitted to lend with interest:

The Babylonia Talmud (Gemara Bava Metsia 70b) states that it is permitted in the Torah to charge non-Jews interest (ribbis / ribbit) and there is only a rabbinic prohibition to do so. The reason the rabbis forbade it is that they didn’t want people to learn from the non-Jews by interacting with them too much. They only permitted it for a talmid chacham or someone who needs to make money to survive. This is codified by the Rambam and Rif. However, Tosfos 70b s.v. tashich writes that today we lend with interest to non-Jews for three reasons: 1) we follow the opinion in the gemarra that there’s no rabbinic prohibition to lend to non-Jews at all. 2) Due to the high taxes we have to charge non-Jews interest otherwise financially wouldn’t survive and it is considered necessary for our livelihood. 3) Really based on the reason of the prohibition it is prohibited to do any business with non-Jews and if we didn’t do that we wouldn’t survive, so therefore since we are intermingling already with non-Jews, then this prohibition no longer applies. Meiri b”m 70b agrees with reason two. Tur YD 159:1 cites the last reason of Tosfos. Shulchan Aruch and Rama Y.D. 159:1 simply writes that nowadays it is permitted to lend non-Jews with interest. The Shach quotes word for word Tosfos as the reasoning for the halacha. And while banks are very WASP-y still, private money lending today is a big Jewish industry, and anyone who speaks out against the custom to follow these opinions and tells them that they are going to Hell just for charging interest.... should be told to shut their big mouths and learn how to learn Jewish texts.

For those who are interested out there, on #3, even though this is by and large never the case, this is one of the main places discussed by the commentaries about certain laws can change if the reason behind the law drops away. (Mayim megulim is the other one.)

FYI to all those out there: Some cash advances (and even factoring) might not be considered a loan by US / state law, but in Jewish law it may be considered a loan.

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

how this man is a rabbi with so little knowledge of jewish law is beyond me . admin should delete this stupidity

Senior Member Reputation points: 76187

"If the mafia is your coworker that already gives you enough of an understanding that its not a good business"

I thought that line was very interesting. Definitely does make you think.

Senior Member Reputation points: 107104

Coincidence that this rabbi owns an investment firm that shared a floor with capital stack a known scammer of our industry?
    Last edited by RickyR3712; 06-29-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: explained to me

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

ricky
    Thanks for calling me so i could explain and interesting pick up of the address ,makes you wonder if this was a personal loss that caused him to make these videos

Senior Member Reputation points: 44858

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR3712 View Post
    Coincidence that this rabbi owns an investment firm that shared a floor with capital stack a known scammer of our industry?
    what makes capital stack a scammer ?

Senior Member Reputation points: 97075

It's funny, a big percentage of funded deals in the last 5 years are Jews to Jews. So why make this a racial issue. Also a majority of the big MCA companies (OnDeck, Can, Par and so on) are owned by Non-Jews.

I smell racism in this entire notion.

The Rabbi and the poster should check out the facts, the numbers and the data.

Senior Member Reputation points: 30747

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAdvanced View Post

I smell racism in this entire notion.
    It seems like damn near everything has some kind of racist undertones. Perhaps racism is just a part of human nature. Like the self-preservation instinct, but on a group-dynamics level.

Senior Member Reputation points: 216380

I forgot, I saw this a few weeks ago and didn't watch again.
    He's convinced that the Jews control all of the money. That's classic Antisemitism from the Nazi era.
    It might not be racist to say that Jews control the money if it were true, but to believe either (a) automatically or (b) when it's not true, and then take either of those assumptions and then blame Jews for the problems, that is "pre-judging" (prejudice) and racist.

BTW SmartAdvanced, a Jew lending to a Jew with interest is a MUCH bigger problem.

Although the whole thing about Jews being a money lender might be a complete MYTH:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDeu2M1Zoc
    (I fell for it also, if she's right......)