Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

S corp or c corp

Maybe someone can help me. I currently have a C Corp but I was told by many in the industry that they have S Corps. Can anyone help me with this? Whats the advantages or disadvantages of each when pertaining to our industry? Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Reputation points: 16117 capaxess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Cohen View Post
    Maybe someone can help me. I currently have a C Corp but I was told by many in the industry that they have S Corps. Can anyone help me with this? Whats the advantages or disadvantages of each when pertaining to our industry? Thanks in advance.
    "S" allows you to pay yourself separately as if you were another employee and not have all your company's profits reflected entirely on your own SSN as with a "C" corp. There are other advantages which I'm not qualified to expand on but PM me if you need a (very) good Bookkeeper/accountant who can break it down for you.

no rention of income pass through

Quote Originally Posted by capaxess View Post
    "S" allows you to pay yourself separately as if you were another employee and not have all your company's profits reflected entirely on your own SSN as with a "C" corp. There are other advantages which I'm not qualified to expand on but PM me if you need a (very) good Bookkeeper/accountant who can break it down for you.
    LLC consider also

Senior Member Reputation points: 216519

I've seen lots and lots of W-9's, but very very few do what I did, and have an LLC filing as an S Corp.
    The advantage of the S Corp is that you can keep a lot of your income as "Passive" and you don't pay social security on it, just income taxes (speak with an accountant what qualifies). But the annoyance is that you need to have all sorts of stock ownership and the by-laws as opposed to an "operating agreement." Get the benefits of both, take an LLC and just elect to file taxes as an S-Corp. You can always drop the S-Corp need if you have some reason to later on, like for example you'd want to open a new LLC and take ownership of the old LLC, but you don't want to file a 1120S on the first one, you can drop the S Corp status and go back to a regular LLC. (You can also elect to file taxes as an C Corp in the same way)