Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Reputation points: 30747

Any part-time Day Traders here taking advantage of the Covid-19 volatility?

Since I am in quarantine, I have had the time to day trade the market. I am not a professional in any way, but I have manage to hit 25% profit this week!

Anyone else day trading? Maybe we can share data on what stocks you are watching, what gappers you find, and what you feel is about to break out.

Just to be transparent... I did give up a a little bit of profit today but still finishing up 23% for the week. With all that's going on it feels good to win on this front and be looking forward to see what the market does on Monday.

C'mon, I know some of you all are trading! If we share info we can trade even better...

On this post here, I felt really good about Paypal, and said I was going to buy..... april 13th I bought 50 shares at $106, today its $177.. plus I have sold it and bought it a few times during this same time period to take profits on gaps up, then repurchasing at the bottom of a correction..

Share some of your winners...!!!

Currently, I am feeling BlackBerry Ltd NYSE: BB, is ripe for a buyout! It's currently at $4.85... I am purchasing 5k shares.. looking at the charts there is not a huge downside potential but , but a very big upside.. I will put my stops in place to prevent any huge losses on my part... I am willing to hold it for a few months, but I will be watching it for gapping opportunities to sell, then repurchasing at the bottom of the corrections.. Let's Go ride the wave!
    Last edited by Winning; 07-03-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 44858

Quote Originally Posted by Winning View Post
    C'mon, I know some of you all are trading! If we share info we can trade even better...

On this post here, I felt really good about Paypal, and said I was going to buy..... april 13th I bought 50 shares at $106, today its $177.. plus I have sold it and bought it a few times during this same time period to take profits on gaps up, then repurchasing at the bottom of a correction..

Share some of your winners...!!!

Currently, I am feeling BlackBerry Ltd NYSE: BB, is ripe for a buyout! It's currently at $4.85... I am purchasing 5k shares.. looking at the charts there is not a huge downside potential but , but a very big upside.. I will put my stops in place to prevent any huge losses on my part... I am willing to hold it for a few months, but I will be watching it for gapping opportunities to sell, then repurchasing at the bottom of the corrections.. Let's Go ride the wave!
    nice. try options...you have the cash for it...don't be scared homie and sell some naked puts.

Senior Member Reputation points: 158630

This cat is now embarrassing himself using the tactics of some trading tips manual from 2009 he tripped over on the web while enjoying his bailout. HIT THE MESSAGE BOARDS and drop a symbol with an unattributed *ripe* spin. Pump it baby! Pump that ****!!

Quote Originally Posted by HDF View Post
    This cat is now embarrassing himself using the tactics of some trading tips manual from 2009 he tripped over on the web while enjoying his bailout. HIT THE MESSAGE BOARDS and drop a symbol with an unattributed *ripe* spin. Pump it baby! Pump that ****!!
    Please, help me see myself.

I would like to follow your line of thought... I linked the post where I talked about buying PayPal a couple of months ago... How am I embarrassing myself? It kind of sounds like you are hating just a little bit.

In case you missed the link to the post.
    https://dailyfunder.com/showthread.p...l=1#post139836

Where is the spin?

I also prefaced this thread with the fact that the trading stuff I do is only like a hobby, and due to the shutdown I have time to play with my hobby...

Again where is the spin?

Regarding if I did (or did not) trip over some info in 2009 that is beneficial to me or someone else what does that even matter?

That comment makes you sound a little bitter and sound like you are hating.

As I sit and think about your comment, what just came to mind was how the companies that received the huge bailouts in 2008, turned around and did stock buy backs with the bail out money! You remember that.... That was crazy....
    Last edited by Winning; 07-03-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fin4all View Post
    nice. try options...you have the cash for it...don't be scared homie and sell some naked puts.
    Lol. Most of what you said flew over my head. I only have played around with the basic of day trading, but I am intrigued to learn more and play around with options as well as forex... I just might trip over some info in 2020 that I can learn, then use!

Senior Member Reputation points: 44858

Quote Originally Posted by Winning View Post
    Lol. Most of what you said flew over my head. I only have played around with the basic of day trading, but I am intrigued to learn more and play around with options as well as forex... I just might trip over some info in 2020 that I can learn, then use!
    haha, all good ..definitely learn now that everyone seems to have time and picking up new hobbies...just an fyi if you use robinhood for stocks its ok since its free and cool app whatever but if you plan on getting into advanced stuff like options,forex, etc try a more robust platform like think or swim or fidelity....robinhood can also support options but its not as good as the others imo, and just don't end up like that young trader on robinhood

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fi...ebt-2020-06-14

Quote Originally Posted by fin4all View Post
    haha, all good ..definitely learn now that everyone seems to have time and picking up new hobbies...just an fyi if you use robinhood for stocks its ok since its free and cool app whatever but if you plan on getting into advanced stuff like options,forex, etc try a more robust platform like think or swim or fidelity....robinhood can also support options but its not as good as the others imo, and just don't end up like that young trader on robinhood

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fi...ebt-2020-06-14
    I actually use the TD Ameritrade think or Swim platform. They have tons of education... I remember when I 1st learned about stop-limit orders, thats been huge for me and have saved me from getting myself into to much trouble.

Do you do any day trading, or swing trading yourself?
    Last edited by Winning; 07-06-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winning;

Currently, I am feeling BlackBerry Ltd NYSE: BB, is ripe for a buyout! It's currently at $4.85... I am purchasing 5k shares.. looking at the charts there is not a huge downside potential but , but a very big upside.. I will
    Haven't been around much, been really busy.. but just want to know if any of you also bought blackberry! It's crazy how sometimes I have these feeling about certain things... I called Paypal, and BlackBerry. Major win on both! Man what a rush! BlackBerry is currently at $8.40. This is unreal, like I am in the twighlight zone.

I prefer crypto.

BlackBerry breaking out again today! up 14% today!

Wake up this morning, and it up another 24%! This cant be real!

BB 12% on the day! I have never made this much return so quickly! What are the odds of me feeling this way about BB! I can't make sense of it...

As much as you all have given me over the years... I hope me mentioning BB here may have spurred someone here to look into BB and invest it in.

5 hours later and its now at 21% on the day!!. Jesus christ... I just cant look away.. My fight or flight response has kicked in.. I feel nervous and shakey for some reason...

BB still is gaining! Today it opened at $19! I am gaining so much, so fast on this I am now worried about my tax liability on the profits...

Senior Member Reputation points: 39157

BB... really??! Great call "Winning"! Wow... celebrating that one for you!

I am in a state of disbelief myself! Blackberry themselves has issued a statement saying that they don't know WTF is going on with their stock prices.. I don't know if I should close all my current positions or what...

Quote Originally Posted by Dow Jones Newswires
    Shares of BlackBerry Ltd. (BB.T) soared 31.1% toward a more-than 9-year high in morning trading Monday, to extend the rocket-ride seen over the past several sessions. Trading volume ballooned to 180.2 million shares, compared with the full-day average over the past 30 days of 31.1 million shares. The Canada -based cyber security software company's U.S. - listed stock, which is on track for the highest close since December 2011 , blasted 42.7% higher last week, the biggest weekly gain since the week ended Dec. 26, 2003 . The stock has now run up 147.6% amid a 7-day win streak (http:// http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bla...-3-years-2021- 01-20). The company commented on the recent trading in its stock, at the request of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC): "The company is not aware of any material, undisclosed corporate developments and has not material change in its business or affairs that has not been publicly disclosed that would account for the recent increase in the market price or trading volume of its common shares." The stock has soared 259.6% over the past three months, while the ETFMG Prime Cyber Security ETF (HACK) climbed 28.3% and the S&P 500 has gained 10.3%.
    - Tomi Kilgore ; 415-439-6400; AskNewswires@dowjones.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
    01-25-21 1130ET
    Copyright (c) 2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

BB breaking out right now. $27.50 per share!

Senior Member Reputation points: 301165

barely do stocks but just made nice money on gamestop , what is your next prediction

...it seems that MAIN STREET is going against WALL STREET. Looks like millenials are committing a virtual armed robbery.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/short...111100682.html

Senior Member Reputation points: 337045

Ahhhhh...Day Trading.....that old game is back...... I have seen a lot of guys go flat broke day trading.
    Hedley Lamarr......That's Hedley

Quote Originally Posted by Michael I View Post
    barely do stocks but just made nice money on gamestop
    The Gamstop thing is crazy! I didn't take any postions my self... I could have bought it at $80 after it ripped to $150, but thought it was over.. Then then next day it rips to $300... I personally know people that have made over $10,000 profit on Gamestop in a 24 hour period... There is a daytrader I follow on youtube that livestreams his trade and he profited +$200K on gamestop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyrmhoO-01M

Looks like the trading platforms are trying to prevent this from happening

Quote Originally Posted by Dow Jones Newswires
    Investing app Robinhood blocked access to GameStop and other high-flying names on Thursday as trading surged among retail users.

The move comes after GameStop (GME) has shot higher over the past week, inspiring a short squeeze. The action -- driven by retail traders often using options -- has spread to other names like BlackBerry (BB), AMC Entertainment Holdings (AMC), and Bed, Bath & Beyond (BBBY). Several of those stocks were falling in premarket trading after enormous run-ups in the past few days.

Users began reporting that they couldn't trade GameStop and other stocks on Thursday. They got a message that "This stock is not supported on Robinhood."

Robinhood told Barron's on Wednesday that it was raising margin requirements for investors in GameStop and AMC to 100%. The company did not respond to a request for comment on why they were blocking certain stocks. Other brokers were also limiting access to certain products.

As of midday on Wednesday, Interactive Brokers (IBKR) put AMC, BlackBerry, Express (EXPR), GameStop, and Koss (KOSS) option trading into liquidation "due to the extraordinary volatility in the markets," the company said.

"In addition, long stock positions will require 100% margin and short stock positions will require 300% margin until further notice," the company said. "We do not believe this situation will subside until the exchanges and regulators halt or put certain symbols into liquidation only. We will continue to monitor market conditions and may add or remove symbols as may be warranted."

TD Ameritrade (AMTD) also placed restrictions on some transactions in GameStop and other securities, the broker said on Wednesday. A spokeswoman didn't specify exactly what the company was doing but said it could include "actions like increasing margin requirements, or limiting certain types of transactions, like short sales and those that may involve unlimited risk. It is not uncommon for us to make such decisions, which we consider on an individual basis, in the interest of mitigating risk."

"We have been adjusting our requirements for several days as we continued to see trends indicating unusual volume in an unprecedented market environment, which appear to be divorced from traditional market fundamentals," the company said. "We have made what we believe to be prudent and appropriate decisions to place some limits on certain transactions for certain securities."

And fast-growing privately held broker Webull said it was limiting some activities, too.

"Webull has been very successful in limiting our intraday risk during the course of these events by not allowing any short positions in these volatile names since as early as Friday of last week," CEO Anthony Denier told Barron's. "Trading has been open for these stocks and uninterrupted amidst this volatility and the only new restrictions we have placed is not allowing market orders opening of new multi-leg option strategy positions."

Robinhood has grown faster than the rest of the industry over the past year, attracting younger investors. Last year, it said it had more than 13 million account-holders, adding 3 million from January until May. The privately held broker was sued last month by a Massachusetts regulator on allegations that it encourages risky investing among its clientele. The company denied those allegations and said it does not recommend stocks.

On Wednesday night, Robinhood sent a notice to users directing them to educational products in light of the recent volatility.

Write to Avi Salzman at avi.salzman@barrons.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

January 28, 2021 09:34 ET (14:34 GMT)

Copyright (c) 2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

After people I personal talked to made huge gains on Gamstop, yesterday I took some small positions on Nokia (invested $300) and AMC (invested $300). My Nokia position is currently -31% and my AMC position is currently -38%..... God Damn FOMO got the best of me.

The things that the brokerages are doing to prevent the run up is working. I guess the short sellers are now reaping all the benefits. I think this is a very public display of just how rigged the system is.. This can become very bad for the stock industry. The optics just doesn't look good when the hidden hand that is always present shows up in such a public way.

Discord shuts down the Wallstreetbets server, the brokerages moving the goal posts, etc..

Just like the Tech industry kicked President Donald Trump off the internet, they can do the same thing to anyone or anything...
    Last edited by Winning; 01-28-2021 at 10:38 AM.