Leadership vs Management
Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Karen37a

Leadership vs Management

I saw a Cartoon once

The cartoon showed a king in his castle, about to be attacked and conquered by an enemy force. The king’s assistant is tapping him on the should to let him know a salesman is waiting outside to see him. The king tells him he’s obviously too busy to talk to a salesman right now so “tell him to go away”. Needless to say, this particular salesman was selling machine guns.

Salespeople vs Management

The best salespeople have a proactive outlook on things, management has a reactive. They move on the information and trends, patterns they see live, they stay ahead of the curve; not sit in think tanks to invent ideas then try to put them in play , lecturing the top producers on how to do things right. ( especially when they cant do it themseleves )

Leadership vs Management

Leaders lead from the front and are usually the best at what they do, so the team follows them. Management bosses people around and only earns respect because they are paying them or have something they want from them ( temporarily).

The sales profession is not for people who do not want to actually engage the merchants or clients or do not have great leadership skills ( not management).

Look behind you and see the quality or level of people following you, it tells the tale ( or production levels) that's your leadership level. If you are a 5, you cant recruit 8's on your team or you can and they really do not respect you and its a temporary thing. Spend time increasing your personal level.

Leadership Levels are based on character, integrity, sales know-how and good old-fashioned production ( not shifty moves to always try to build a bigger mouse trap avoiding the interaction or the sale )
    Last edited by Karen37a; 10-16-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen37a View Post
    I saw a Cartoon once

The cartoon showed a king in his castle, about to be attacked and conquered by an enemy force. The king’s assistant is tapping him on the should to let him know a salesman is waiting outside to see him. The king tells him he’s obviously too busy to talk to a salesman right now so “tell him to go away”. Needless to say, this particular salesman was selling machine guns.

Salespeople vs Management

The best salespeople have a proactive outlook on things, management has a reactive. They move on the information and trends, patterns they see live, they stay ahead of the curve; not sit in think tanks to invent ideas then try to put them in play , lecturing the top producers on how to do things right. ( especially when they cant do it themseleves )

Leadership vs Management

Leaders lead from the front and are usually the best at what they do, so the team follows them. Management bosses people around and only earns respect because they are paying them or have something they want from them ( temporarily).

The sales profession is not for people who do not want to actually engage the merchants or clients or do not have great leadership skills ( not management).

Look behind you and see the quality or level of people following you, it tells the tale ( or production levels) that's your leadership level. If you are a 5, you cant recruit 8's on your team or you can and they really do not respect you and its a temporary thing. Spend time increasing your personal level.

Leadership Levels are based on character, integrity, sales know-how and good old-fashioned production ( not shifty moves to always try to build a bigger mouse trap avoiding the interaction or the sale )

The Scorpion and the Frog

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.
    The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.

"I could not help myself. It is my nature."

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river.

Self destruction - "Its my Nature", said the Scorpion...

Karen37a
    Aesops Fables

I use that as an analogy to explain Financial Services, no matter how nice you are to people...some are going to get you.

Tony Soprano "thats my nature thats what we do"

Senior Member Reputation points: 503040

Karen, stop being so stubborn.

I also saw a cartoon once. It was about a stubborn train. And like any good, wholesome child's tale, it ended in tragedy. The stubborn train was entombed in a mountain forever.

Karen, don't get entombed in a mountain.

henry_4.jpg

Karen37a
    I think it was" the little engine that could," I think I can, i think I can.

What are you trying to say? care to share with the group?lol

__
    I will never be entombed in a mountain. I am more stubborn than I appear to be.( and I will not tollerate the next rush at me) Which is why I hold down the defaults to a minimum and the stacking, and protect the money like its my own.

The Question is ...How hard is it for people to do real business? Not look to fish for applications ?? Nor recommend purposeful default??/

2 days till vacation...count down
    Last edited by Karen37a; 10-16-2017 at 05:48 PM.

The Question is ...How hard is it for people to do real business? Not look to fish for applications ?? Nor recommend purposeful default??

2 days till vacation..

Where are you going?

Senior Member Reputation points: 50583

Everyone looked over the little engine that could because she wasn't big or strong enough to pull the train over the mountain.
    But after all of the other trains were too busy or got f*cked up trying to show off the only one they could count on was the little engine
    She wound up ignoring the BS and taking the circus freaks through all the chaos and challenges and delivering them safe in time to put on the greatest show ever

Def. not the right moral/story
    Amanda Kingsley
    DailyFunder: WhoisKingsley
    This is me. https://www.facebook.com/whoiskingsley
    I am Here too. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheClosersGroup

Always Live and Lead with Integrity.

Karen37a
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoisKingsley View Post
    Everyone looked over the little engine that could because she wasn't big or strong enough to pull the train over the mountain.
    But after all of the other trains were too busy or got f*cked up trying to show off the only one they could count on was the little engine
    She wound up ignoring the BS and taking the circus freaks through all the chaos and challenges and delivering them safe in time to put on the greatest show ever

Def. not the right moral/story

Amanda ,

you left the industry to do something completly different. Please do not give me advice when you didnt make it in the buisness for whatever reason.

Thanks and good luck to you. I am ignoring you going forward.

closing last deals and then off to vacation have fun **

Karen37a
    And the best leaders do not lead thru fear and intimidation....management styles usually do that (and they "mgt style" get the few kiss butts following along, doing their bidding)

When you have a w2 staff its led one way BUT recruiting independent Isos is like leading an independent 1099 sales force.

Top producers will not be led thru fear and intimidation because they see themselves as valuable.

They follow leaders thru respect. ( which is why certain D paper leaders are looked up to by so many salespeople) even when they do not love their product they still respect the Leader and Leadership style.

** really hit a nerve on this one with some
    Last edited by Karen37a; 10-17-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 50583

Karen,

I took time off from working with ISOs because I had bigger responsibilities to tend to. All because I don't post doesn't mean I don't work.

I have my loyal ISOs. I have my box and get my deals. I have my great business relationships with people and do a lot of work behind the curtain. I don't need to put my business out.

Don't take everything so personal.
    Amanda Kingsley
    DailyFunder: WhoisKingsley
    This is me. https://www.facebook.com/whoiskingsley
    I am Here too. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheClosersGroup

Always Live and Lead with Integrity.

Senior Member Reputation points: 24139

In a variation of one of my favorite quote about leadership: "If a leader's own insecurity and self-anointed infallibility leads to hiring only those less capable than him/herself, they are destined to be a middling company that is inevitably forgotten. But a strong leader that still has the humility to hire and empower only those individuals that are smarter, more talented, or more experienced than the leader him/herself, that company shall become a company of giants."
    Carl Fairbank
    Founder & CEO boldMODE
    www.boldmode.com
    Carl@boldmode.com
    Founder & former CEO of Breakout Capital (sold to SecurCapital in 2019)
    www.breakoutfinance.com

Karen37a
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfairbank View Post
    In a variation of one of my favorite quote about leadership: "If a leader's own insecurity and self-anointed infallibility leads to hiring only those less capable than him/herself, they are destined to be a middling company that is inevitably forgotten. But a strong leader that still has the humility to hire and empower only those individuals that are smarter, more talented, or more experienced than the leader him/herself, that company shall become a company of giants."

You are right ...and the key word was "hire"

Not Independent commission only salespeople nor independent commission only ISOs ( they are not hired they are recruited )...They only follow leaders they respect...and ones they might not respect but produce $$$

Took a long time for me to have certain people cross over in their mind the difference, building sales forces.

Some never cross
    Last edited by Karen37a; 10-17-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 18447

One of my favorite leadership quotes...."Anytime I look at a management team of eight that does not include at least one women I know they are insecure and not hiring the best people."