Need a Funder or Vendor? START HERE

Senior Member Reputation points: 30475 Zach's Avatar

How I learned the secret of networking

To all my friends out there, pounding the pavement for new business:

As a sales manager in a highly competitive industry, it gives me numbing chest pain to think about HOW THE HECK I am going to generate enough leads for my team. If I don’t generate leads, we don’t close deals, I don’t make any money, and soon I won’t have a job. Stressful? You bet.

I’ve always read that networking was the best way to build long-term wealth. Perhaps as a disciple of Geoffrey Gitomer, I’ve been a bit brainwashed by his methods. It made intuitive sense to me: why hunt down a client that might give me one deal, when I can potentially find a source of dozens of deals?

Made sense to me, but the humbling part came when I tried cold-calling potential referral sources.

“Uhh, hi, this is Zach with Alliance Funding. We provide equipment leasing and working capital loans. Do you have any clients that could use our services?”

**CLICK**

Needless to say, after about 100 of these calls per day, I was disheartened. I went through a month of this self-esteem-demolishing torture. But I was determined to succeed.

Then, one night during this month, I went out with my mom. She’s a cool lady, the kind you can take out to see a classic rock band, shoot some pool, and have a few drinks with. She bought me my dinner and paid for my drink, despite all of my best efforts to pay.

Emasculating? You bet. She refused to accept anything from me. In that moment, more than anything, I wanted to “get her back” for taking such good care of me.

…And that’s when it finally clicked.

The next day I began approaching prospective referral partners with a new strategy. I would contact SBA lenders with clients that NEED an SBA loan. I would contact factoring agencies with factoring leads IN HAND, rather than begging them for leads. By bringing meat to the table, I was reciprocally well-fed.

I am not the kind of person to sound "new age-y", but I found that the law of attraction indeed worked in this situation. I was able to provide a valuable service to other companies, monetize those deals with finder's fees, and in many cases they returned the favor with valuable leads.

This was when I learned the secret of networking: Provide value first, and it will come back immeasurably.

For anyone looking to capitalize on this opportunity... "Give, and you shall receive."

Zachary Ramirez
    Core Financial, Inc
    4500 Campus Dr, #650
    Newport Beach, CA 92660
    Phone: 714-988-4413
    Efax: 888-507-8970
    Email: zach@corebusinessloans.com
    www.corebusinessloans.com
    Last edited by Zach; 08-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Member Reputation points: 290 1StopFunding's Avatar

How I learned the secret of networking

Great post Zach!
    Cheryl Tibbs- General Manager
    Equipment LeaseCo Inc
    www.equipmentleaseco.com

Member Reputation points: 10

So what does your new pitch sound like?

Bryan, I just give them a referral or two. Then I follow up on it and ask what they have in their current pipeline, aiming to get two or three names and numbers.

Once I fund a deal for them, I pay them handsomely to make sure they continue the leadflow. Most of the people I've worked with are real cool after you send them a lead or two.

Senior Member Reputation points: 5016 @jeannette's Avatar

There is a book called the Thank You Economy that describes this principle. The more you do for others the more they will want to naturally want to do for you. I live my life by it.
    Jeannette Nearing | Business Development Officer| AmeriFactors
    | M (770) 362-2307
    jnearing@amerifactors.com |

http://www.amerifactors.com
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeannettenearing

Banned Reputation points: 306

Epic post. You are one of a kind and that's what sustains you. While these other guys sweat all day for quick fixes, enjoy having deals literally fall on your lap!

Jay,

I've actually implemented a lot of your strategies from the MCA mastermind e-book. I have a lot of respect for what you are doing for this industry. It is creative, high-level thinking like yours that will ultimately propel our product into the huge, untapped market.